Bon Cheri

Thursday, January 8, 2009

I think I can, I think I can....

Today was day THREE of my "Training" for the Family "Fun" run. I set the goal to start training on Monday, Jan 5, because I felt like that was the end of the holidays (and I couldn't think if any more excuses). When Monday morning came along I strapped on my running shoes and set off down the road. I started out with a brisk walk and was pretty proud that I was not winded, so I tried to jog. This was a bit harder and quite pathetic. I could only run for about a minute and a half before I was out of breath and tired, but I kept trucking along in a brisk walk with little spurts of jogging sprinkled in. I was sore that after noon so I decided that Tuesday would be my walking day. Seth gave me some good advice on my running techniques. He suggested that I keep my arms tucked in close to my body and my feet pointing forward as I ran. He told me that if I did this that I would use less energy.
On Tuesday, while I was walking, I focused on my arms and feet. I noticed that it made a big difference in the amount of energy I was exerting and I could go a lot longer with out getting winded. I took Wednesday off from running/walking because I felt sore but was determined to run for a longer time on Thursday (Today).
This morning during my run I felt stronger and was able to jog more than 3/4 of my 2.9 mile route. It is amazing how much determination correct running style and practice can do for you. Your right Erin, it does get better as you do it more. I thought I would never say this but it is relaxing and kind of fun!
I wish everyone luck with their training and I know that you can do it!! Please keep me updated on you progress! I love you all!

P.S. My friend showed my this website that lets you track your running route and it measures how long it is. The website is www.mapmyrun.com.

2 comments:

Paula Graff said...

Thanks for the website Katie. It's a pretty cool site. I had to sign up and keep track of my progres.
Keep up the good work! I know I run like a crazy lady, so now I will try and keep my arms from flying all around. As for the toes pointing forward....no hope there I am pigeon toed!

Erin said...

Only day three and you're already relaxing and enjoying it?!?! Very amazing, Katie! Thanks for your great example and your enthusiasm.
Just be careful; if you start out fast and long you're increasing your chances of injury. Even if you CAN run, it's still wise to take it easy/slowly until your body gets used to the new demands (Kira, can you add any more details to this?).
When I first started jogging a friend recommended the book:
Principles of Running: Practical Lessons from My First 100,000 Miles by Amby Burfoot.
It's a very easy read and is set up so you don't have to read the whole thing - just read the (very short) chapters that are applicable. I learned a LOT from the book. The main point I gained is that running is way more MOTIVATION than anything else. In addition, he talks about how to learn to LIKE running and how to avoid getting injured. I highly recommend the book - check it out from the library (right, Paula!).