Bon Cheri

Sunday, October 10, 2010

And Goings....

Sweet little family.......

Saturday night, October 9, 2010; Mary Elva Gardner Graff passed away. She was sitting in her chair in the living room. The family was watching TV, Larry said she sat up, opened her eyes, took a few short quick breaths then relaxed and was gone. Ian and Daniel came to her side to see what they could do to help her, when it was apparent there was little hope, they checked her breathing and pulse to confirm she had died. I had been on the phone with Larry when she woke up, he said he would call me back when he had seen to her needs. When he called back he started with "She is gone."

I am still in Utah with Stewart and Kira Pope. Lauren is here for the weekend with us. After my conversation with Larry, I told them the news. That is when I noticed that I felt shaky. They had me come sit on the couch, flanked with a daughter on each side of me. That helped, but what really grounded me was when Kira suggested that I hold Tyson. Till we went to bed many hours later, he was laying on my chest, giving me comfort and peace. Thank you Tyson, your first act of service.

Larry called 911 and the paramedics were the first to arrive. They called the sheriff and left when he arrived. The sheriff took a death report and took pictures. He called the coroner and didn't leave till he arrived. When the coroner finally rolled Grandma out on the gurney, he told me all he felt was relief. I was concerned about the boys, this is the first time they have been around death and having someone die in their home. Larry assured me they were doing just fine. Happy even. They even share Larry's feeling of relief.

Plans, dates and times have not been determined for her funeral. I will post when they are complete.

No comments: