Bon Cheri

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Funny Christmas Stories


Well, after much pressure Andrew and I have finally decided to add our first post to the blog(thanks Blue). What really made us want to add a post was the great christmas party we went to last night. It is definately a story that must be told.
About two weeks ago Andrew and I got an envelope on our door. Inside was an invite to a Christmas party, we didn't know the name of the hosts and so we didn't RSVP. At church last Sunday I was acousted by two older women (mid to late 60's). They asked me if Andrew and I had received our invites and told us that we just had to come. After telling them that we would, they began to tell me not to worry becuase the older couples really were fun and that they had invited one other young coulple. They were so funny and kept telling me not to be scared of the older couples and that last year the young couple they invited walked around the block for half an hour trying to get up the courage to go in to the old people party. After these comments Andrew and I were a little worried about what type of party we were going to.

The day of the party finally arrived. After making a quick batch of brownies and wrapping up two wedding gifts that we didn't want for our white elephant gifts we drove over to the house. When we got there we realized that we were the youngest people there by 50 years. The other couple couldn't come. One man was teling me that 6 of the 7 other couples there had been married 50 years are more! (Andrew and I are working on 4 MONTHS!) Oh, it was so funny. After eating a great meal, we sat down to play catch phrase. Trying to teach all of them how to play was interesting to say the least. The best part was that half of the peple couldn't read the words! Finally after going through three couples the hostest exclaimed, "you should know when you come to our parties to bring your glasses and hearing aids!" The best part was that she wasn't joking! They were passing one pair of reading glasses around the room with the catch phrase game. Two of the wives and one husband had to read the word and wisper it in the ear of their spouse. It was so FUNNY! Oh, the joys of getting older.

After Catch Pharase was over we played the white elephant game. The funniest part was all these couples were too scared to steal from each other. They had all been friends for so long that they were afraid to get anyone else mad at them. By the end we got them stealing and everyone had a great time.

I wish I could explain better how funny the night was. I think it will be fun to get old and gray someday, but for now I am enjoying the use of my eyesight and hearing! Be grateful for the small blessings! Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Erin said...

Good job Colleen! Thanks for sharing your funny story. We got a good laugh picturing the old people passing around the reading glasses with the Catch Phrase game.

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Funny story. Unfortunately I can relate to the needing glasses part to read. Getting old is a pain!!!

I think it is a great idea inviting young couples to old people party. Makes it funner for everyone.

Jamie Pearson said...

That was awesome. I'm glad you decided to post especially with such a great story. Old people are so great.